Borrow a bike for the whole semester or for the weekend from our bike-sharing program, Re-Cycle.
All WFU students, faculty, and staff are eligible to participate the Re-Cycle bike-sharing program.
A valid WFU ID must be furnished each semester borrow a bike.
The cost to borrow a bicycle for the semester is $5 for refurbished bikes and $10 for bikes that are new to the fleet. This fee covers regular maintenance of the bicycles. Additional costs are outlined in the “Repairs, Damages, and Loss” section of the liability waiver and in the table below.
- You will be asked to review program expectations and complete a liability waiver. Hardcopies will be available to sign when you pick up your shared bike.
- For short-term use, you can check out a bike at Outdoor Pursuits (OP) Monday/Friday, noon-6:00 pm or Tuesday/Thursday, 2:00-6:00 pm. The OP staff will try to match available bicycles with your expressed needs.
- For semester-long use, you will fill out a brief online form so that we can try to select a bicycle that best suits your needs. You will be notified by email of the check-out date, time, and location for pick-up.
- At the time of check-out, a staff member will review the condition of the bicycle with you and issue you a Kryptonite u-lock and key set. You need to lock the bicycle through the frame and one wheel, to prevent theft.
- When you return a bike, an OP staff member will review the condition of the bicycle with you and ask you to return the Kryptonite lock and key set. You need to return bicycles from short-term use to OP Monday/Friday, noon-6:00 pm or Tuesday/Thursday, 2:00-6:00. Bicycles cannot be left outside the OP office after hours.
- Bicycles borrowed for semester-long use must be returned by the last day of class each semester. You will receive a reminder to return the bicycle one week prior to this date.
- Keys and locks must be returned with shared bikes. Members are responsible for the $25 replacement cost of a lock if the lock lost or is significantly damaged. The cost for a lost key is $12.
- Damages in excess of normal wear and reasonable use will be assessed a fee in accordance with repair costs, including parts and labor. The table below outlines some common repair costs and related fees. Fees can be paid in cash to OP. If you fail to reimburse the program by the end of the semester, the amount will be charged to your Student Account.
|Late bike fee (not returned before close of business)||$10/day|
|Lost used bike: replacement cost||$150|
|Lost new off-road bike, TREK 820: replacement cost||$285|
|Lost new off-road bike, TREK 3500: replacement cost||$325|
|Lost new road bike, TREK 1.1: replacement cost||$590|
|Lost lock: replacement cost of locking system||$25|
|Damage costs due to misuse of bike:|