Q. I made the switch to CFL bulbs, how do I dispose of them when they eventually burn out?

A. Because Compact Florescent Lightbulbs (CFLs) contain a small amount of gaseous mercury, you should not dispose of them in individual waste containers. Individuals should dispose of personal CFLs at the 3RC facility in Winston-Salem or a home improvement store that collects them. Bulbs supplied by or used on the Reynolda campus should be collected by a member of the maintenance staff.

University employees may submit a work order to Facilities and Campus Services to have their light bulbs changed. The bulb pick-up will be charged to the building maintenance account. For tenants of the university buildings off the Reynolda campus, requests should be made through the real estate office’s maintenance department.