FAQ: Recycling Myth

FAQ: Recycling Myth

Q. Why should I bother to recycle at Wake? Doesn’t the university just throw away all the recyclable waste?

A. A significant percentage of university waste is diverted to be recycled including several dozen tons of cardboard each year. It is true that around 40 percent of recycling bins are contaminated by non-recyclables, like food waste, causing the contents of those bins to go to the landfill. The contents of the remaining 60 percent are diverted to a recycling center. Each marked recycling bin is lined with a clear bag so that Facilities staff members can easily determine if the contents are contaminated. All bins designated for trash contain opaque black trash bags.

For a quick list of recyclable materials, download our “What to Recycle” table, and remember – sorting matters!

2015-12-15T16:04:19+00:00January 10th, 2010|Categories: Home Stories, Waste Reduction|Tags: , |Comments Off on FAQ: Recycling Myth